writing HTML for tablets

I write the occasional web page, and I was thinking about screen size as
it relates to web content. In the past I had not given it much
consideration, except that when I made some pages for a cellphone
(128x128 pixels, $0.02/kb data charges) I made them much smaller with no
or tiny graphics.

The Nokia tablets are 800x480, and I can't see pocket PC displays getting
much bigger than 1000x500. If they were physically larger, they would not
fit in a pocket, and if the pixels were smaller you would need reading
glasses (I already need 3 diopter glasses; I only need 1.0 for a PC
screen or paperbacks in good light...).
Regular laptops have about reached the limit; too. Any bigger and they
would not fit in a briefcase or on an aircraft tray.

On the other hand, desktops can get physically larger (we have some 2x4
panel arrays) and wall displays can get even bigger. Mainstream LCD
panels are changing to 16x9 aspect ratio and HDTV 1920x1080 for single
panels.

So what are we to write content for ? Not so much a problem for
legacy HTML which just flows to fit the width, but the modern
graphic-rich stuff assumes a width of about 1024 or more.
Maybe we can dynamically adjust the images to fit. I was playing with
this at http://andrew.triumf.ca/js/alternate.cssxi.html
But really, we don't want to send so much data over 3G in the first
place, so the content needs to be available in smaller pages for tablets
and cellphones. Which needs some kind of size-sensitive CMS system to
handle it.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada