Abiword on N8x0 (was: Bluetooth Keyboard?)

Mark wrote:
> On 3/21/08, Ryan Pavlik <abiryan at ryand.net> wrote:
>

>> No, I understand that attaching a sample doc to a bug report doesn't
>>  help you get work done now.  I am asking you (or anyone else with
>>  similar problems) to make an additional effort to contribute, so that in
>>  the future, when you want to get work done, it does work in the way you
>>  want.  It's a long term, not a short term, solution, but it'll be even
>>  longer-term if we don't get the documents that don't work.
>>
>> Ryan Pavlik
>>  www.cleardefinition.com
>>

> Well, I just installed Abiword 2.4.6 on my desktop machine, and
> proceeded to try to open one of my typical 12-page documents. More
> than an hour later, the little "wait" icon is still going 'round and
> 'round, and the document window is still empty. I think it's safe to
> say at this point that it's not going to work at all. (It's an odt
> file.)
>
> And no, I can't send the document to you, because it's full of
> sensitive information. I forgot about that aspect, but it's just one
> of several reasons why your demand for people to send in troublesome
> documents just isn't reasonable or realistic. I'm sorry, but that's
> the reality of it.
>
> I still may try it on my N800 for plain text files, because using vi
> is excruciatning without a proper keyboard.
>
> Mark

Well, that is unfortunate.  If it's possible, file a bug and mention
that the doc is confidential anyway, and if we can't figure out from
your description of the doc where the issue is and it's possible to send
it to just one person confidentially who can fix the bug, that has
worked in the past.  I'd also suggest trying it with 2.6.0, which is out
in source code form and should have Windows binaries and a more official
release any day now.  2.4.6 is quite old, even though it's the "latest
stable release".  If none of that is possible, then don't worry about it
and keep doing whatever you were doing before - I certainly don't wish
to impose in any way and was just trying to suggest possible options.

It's not a demand, just a request - I certainly don't expect that
everyone using AbiWord will file every bug they find, but I do hope that
active users (such as those posting on mailing lists) can find the time
and effort to do so.

To everybody else reading this and wanting to know more about the actual
subject line :D : If you want to test out AbiWord 2.6.x on N8x0, I am in
need of beta testers and especially folks with some Maemo programming
experience (if you're reading the user's list :D ) to help get it stable
for release, since the most recent version available for Maemo is either
a) really, really old or b) quite unstable.  We've got about 5 bugs to
go IIRC before it's stable enough for me to call it a release.  All the
information on how to become a beta tester and help out is at
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=151330  If
you've got the time, I'd love to have your assistance!  (Please make
sure to read that thread - if you just email me, I'll tell you to read
the thread since I'm handling all requests through itt.com to simplify
things.)

Thanks for any help you are able to provide!

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com