Audio connection problem

I am very familiar with the ground loop problem, and this is not
related to that. Ground loop problems are a result of noise created by
other devices, whereas this noise is created by the Nokia itself. It's
also a completely different kind of noise - ground loops usually cause
a whine (that varies with rpm's in a running vehicle), but this is a
swishing white noise that seems to vary with the sound that the Nokia
is playing. Also, no other devices, including my standalone mp3
player, exhibit this noise when connected identically.

The reason the cassette adapter works is not because of isolation but
because of completely different power and impedance characteristics -
it's a lot closer to headphones than to a line input.

Mark