pwsafe.install error

n810 at merctech.com wrote:
> In the message dated: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:42:48 CST,
> The pithy ruminations from David Dyer-Bennet on
> <Re: pwsafe.install error> were:
>
> 	[SNIP!]
> => >
> => Whew, long time sitting things out here.
> =>
> => But yes, it installs now.
> =>
> => Unfortunately it doesn't support V3 database format; and in fact the V2
> => database I export now from PasswordSafe won't open either, so it's not
> => useful.  Dunno what's wrong where, maybe PasswordSafe broke the export
> => at some point, but anyway I'm stuck again.
>
> That's exactly why I gave up on passwordsafe...
>
> I've begun using keepass. There are Windows & Linux (X) versions, and the Maemo
> version is compatible.

Hmmm, that'd certainly be a clean solution for me.  I'll look into that.

I'm always wondering, about this sort of software, how good the
developers are; security is easily compromised by little accidents.  Not
to say that PasswordSafe is guaranteed perfect either of course; but it
started out as a giveaway from Bruce Schneier's Counterpane Security, so
I believe it has been looked at fairly carefully by good security
people.  I could try to look over keepass myself -- but I'm not a
first-class security expert.

Still, definitely worth considering the switch.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info