fetchmail?

Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
> Is email received by a standard fetchmail mechanism? Is arriving email placed
> in a standard location like /var/mail/user or /var/spool/mail/user? I noticed
> that the directories /var/mail/ and /var/spool/mail/ exist but they are empty.

I thin that is 100% dependent on mail client. I think all the mail
clients use pop or imap and such, but then use their own transport and
storage mechanism. Modest only downloads headers and then downloads the
body when requested.

I don't think it's impossible, but as a device for consumers, I would
assume that it is unlikely to work using fetchmail, ever, out of the
box. It's more of a work station rather than a server, I think.