invalid tar magic

In the message dated: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:36:16 PST,
The pithy ruminations from Erik Hovland on
<Re: invalid tar magic> were:
=> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:11:44PM -0500, Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
=> > Using the busybox version of tar, I get:
=> >
=> >    tar: invalid tar magic
=> >
=> > on a tar file that I can successfully unpack on other machines. Is this a bug
=> > or a busybox restriction?
=>
=> Probably yes to both. Busybox tar prints that error message when it
=> basically cannot figure out what happened.

	http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html
=>
=> > How can I fix it?
=>
=> Heh, that's the rub.

There are two packaged versions of the "real" GNU tar available. Search on the
internettablettalk.com forum for more information (frequently cited in
reference to installing the root partition on a memory card), and be
particularly careful not to allow dpkg or apt-get to remove busybox! There are
good instructions (on the forum or on wiki/web pages regarding installing root
on a memory card) about how to install tar in a user-defined directory,
avoiding the conflict with busybox.

Mark

=>
=> E
=>
=> --
=> Erik Hovland
=> mail: erik at hovland.org
=> web: http://hovland.org/
=> PGP/GPG public key available on request