N800 user unhappy with OS2008 upgrade -- are there others?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Norman Ramsey <nr at eecs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I finally upgraded my N800 to OS2008 about a month ago.
>  I've gotten used to the new look and feel, about which I'm mostly
>  neutral, but otherwise it has been nothing like what I was promised:
>
>   1. The RSS reader is no better able to handle a feed with a hundred
>      entries; my favorite feed falls in this class.

I don't think the RSS reader will ever be a priority, unfortunately.
It's been tagged (as far as I can tell) as a low-importance "toy" app.
 That, and there are so many other high profile applications like the
browser and they only have so many staff.

>   2. I get web browser crashes at least once a week.  I *never* had a
>      crash under OS2007.

True.  Some of it can be attributed to the micro browser change from
Opera, but it is disappointing since I don't remember as many crashes
with microb in OS2007 either.

>   3. I very frequently get inadvertent 'double-hits' when using the
>      stylus with the touch screen.  These were rare events under OS2007.

This bug simply must be fixed.  It's a major regression over OS2007
and I thought my touch-screen had started to fail due to the glitches,
including double-taps when using the hardware buttons.

>   4. If improvements have been made to the applications themselves (as
>      opposed to the home screen), they are not readily visible to me.
>      Image viewer still chokes on a directory with several hundred
>      images, for example.

Overall I think the look is much more polished and appealing, although
I rarely use the "Applications" button and have launcher panel
installed for starting my important apps.  It seems faster as well
(For obvious reasons since the clock speed was increased).  I think
the improvements outweigh the problems significantly, especially once
you get familiar with the new way some things work.

>   5. OK, one minor complaint about the look and feel: with the new fat
>      menus, even using the stylus, I can only fit a few bookmark
>      entries on the screen at one time.  A device like this benefits
>      from a lot of bookmarks, but now screen real estate carries less
>      information and bookmarks are therefore more work to find.
>
>  I am really disappointed in this upgrade and in Nokia's general
>  decision to keep the applications closed source.  The performance of
>  the applications is a continual source of disappointment to me, but
>  without access to the source code it is hard to see how to do better.

There should be an option for "Classic" or the new look as it really
can be a handicap if you have tons of things loaded.  Either way,
things like the launcher panel keep my sanity intact instead of
threading through nested folders to get to an application.
  I am aware of Nokia's reasons for keeping many applications closed
although I don't think they are helping themselves that much.  It sure
slows down clone makers but it also adds up to a slower, less
well-tested result.  I expect in the end other people will port/create
superior applications to replace the built-in ones.  I think Nokia is
banking on that to add value without cost to the platform.  As long as
they don't kill the Maemo platform through too-frequent hardware
releases that cut out older device users of OS updates the future is
bright and I can't wait to see what else comes of it.

Larry