N810 and ad-hoc networks

Has anyone been able to use a Nwhatever on an ad-hoc network. I tried with
OS2006 AND OS2008, mac, windos and linux hosts. I can get the link easily
(well, easily on mac and windows) but I get no address from the
connection, so nothing works.

I googled for it, but no results. Ideally I would like to connect via wifi
to my notebook connected wired to the Internet and have Internet connect
on the tablet.

Any hint or pointer or success story will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
gt