N810 and Huawei E220 USB HSDPA modem

Joshua Layne <joshua at willowisp.net> writes:

> > But the power thing was irritating. The modem has two USB connections
> > and one is only for power. So I connected an USB-battery that can give
> > 700 mA to the power connection and still the N810 said that there was
> > not enough power and failed to start things properly. I wonder if this
> > just is a problem with power requirement detection. Can you disable
> > this detection? I suspect that the modem does not see that it is
> > connected to a battery and therefore reports that it needs a lot of
> > power.
> >

>  From the brief spec I read on wikipedia today (because until today I
> had never heard of it), the second cord is only for power, but the first
> is for data+power and does in fact need power, but shouldn't require
> 500mW on the primary.
>
> This is all based on not much research, so I might be entirely wrong.

I found a work around. If I put the modem behind the hub it works with
the battery connected to the modem and no power to the hub. I have to
connect the hub first to the N810 and then connect the modem. The only
remaining problem is that the N810 reboots when I disconnect the cable
but maybe you just have to remove usbserial or something like that for
that not to happen.

To summarize how to get a mobile network connection with the Huawei
E220 HSDPA using the USB cable to connect to your N810:

1. Put the N810 in USB host mode.

2. Connect the USB hub to the N810 using a female-female converter.

3. Connnect the Huawei modem with battery to the USB hub.

3. Connect to network DEFAULT that is created in the connection menu with:

   gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY

4. Run the following script:

   #!/bin/sh
   # usb host mode script
   # use gainroot to become root and relaunch itself
   if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
   #if not already root, call itself as root
   sudo gainroot <<EOF
   $0 $*
   EOF
   exit
   fi
   kill -HUP `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`
   insmod /root/usbserial.ko vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003
   sleep 3
   /usr/sbin/pppd call telia3g

--------

You have to disable the asking of the PIN code in your SIM card by
connecting the card to a 3G phone or use some suitable software like
umtsmon on your Linux computer ur use a Windows computer connected to
the modem.

You have to complie the kernel modules to get the usbserial.ko.

The file /etc/ppp/peers/telia3g has the following content:

  lock
  connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/telia3g.chat"
  #Use the first of the serial ports.
  /dev/ttyUSB0
  hide-password
  noauth
  debug
  novj
  460800
  #This options tells pppd to create automatically a default route for this connection
  #in the routing table upon connection.
  #This works if you do not have set (you must not indeed!) the 'gateway' option
  # for any network interface you have (eg eth0).
  defaultroute
  noipdefault
  user anyuser
  password anypassword
  modem
  crtscts
  #Do not use the peer given DNSs, since the ones received from the peer are wrong.
  usepeerdns
  nodeflate
  nobsdcomp

The file /etc/ppp/telia3g.chat have the following content:

  ABORT BUSY
  ABORT ERROR
  REPORT CONNECT
  TIMEOUT 10
  "" "AT&F"
  OK "AT+COPS?"
  OK "ATE1"
  OK "ATS0=0"
  OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","online.telia.se"'
  OK "ATDT*99#"
  TIMEOUT 30
  CONNECT \d\c

--