N810 and Huawei E220 USB HSDPA modem

I am trying to connect a Huawei E220 modem (HSDPA) to my N810. It
worked directly on my debian unstable machine. I have tried to compile
some additional modules like usbserial and use them but it does not
seem to work. Does anybody know if it is possible to get this to work
just compiling som extra modules or do I have to build a new image?

Some web page said:

  modprobe usb-ohci
  modprobe usb-uhci
  modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001
  modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003
  mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
  mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
  mknod /dev/ttyUSB2 c 188 2

Can i build usb-ohci and usb-uhci as modules? And is there any program
I can use to see if I have a serial connection to the modem?

--
/Tommy Persson