What is Best practice for Battery Longevity on N8X0?

Hi,
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 11:54 -0500, ext John Holmblad wrote:
> All,
>
> based on recent correspondence on this list I am beginning to wonder if
> keeping the N800 or N810 plugged in to the charger will result in the
> longest useful life of the battery.
>
> Intuitively keeping the device plugged in seems to be the right thing to
> do since it will then be fully charged when I have to disconnect the
> charger in order to go somewhere with the device. Any thoughts from
> Nokia battery experts on this list?

I'm not really involved in putting the charge in but rather in making it
stay there as long as possible, however here are few comments:

- the charging is far from being passive, so having the charger plugged
in doesn't mean the it will be charging all the time, it depends on the
charging algorythm, which will stop charging when it thinks the full
charge has been reached; of course it will keep the battery topped, but
unless you leave your tablet unused for days in a row, it won't really
make a difference, as long as you have not installed some broken
application/daemon

- n800 and n810 have the same battery capacity, but due to few hw
bugfixes, the projected idle time is not the same (bear in mind that
this is much more than what is advertised since the advertisement takes
into account also possible variances in the components batches and
anyway it's unlikely that the tablet stays unused for so long ;)

n800: 18 days
n810: 27 days

The difference is huge in terms of time, but the measured current is
quite low, hence even small deltas have significant impact.

Note that this is measured with no connection/extra sw installed or
applications running.

--

Cheers, Igor

---