Nokia N810 PIM

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 13:32 +0930, Peter Hickey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of quick question from someone who has just upgraded from a
> Palm Tx to a N810.
>
> 1. I am hoping someone can point me to a good Personal information
> manager and address book that I could use to get updates from google
> calendar.

	I put my vote in for GPE. I've been working on getting it to
synchronize with Evolution, but since the device has really changed how
I work I haven't made much progress on that. Ryan Pavlik has a really
good guide on that. I believe there are also guides to sync to Schedule
World and I think Google? The way I used to use it was make notes,
schedule appts etc during the day and then sync them to do the "real"
work on the pc. Now I use the Nokia to complete whatever I need to do.
The built in backup utility does back up the GPE database, I have
restored it several times after flashing a newer firmware. I use the
todo app simply to list a todo. I have a separate file; named
appropriately; using Leafpad to edit it that has all the details, dates,
notes, etc. I use Claws for the email client to send or receive what I
need on the spot. No more dealing with everything twice. It's taken a
while but I am much happier

> 2. Can I install open office or similar Doc reader on my n810.

	I use antiword coupled with docreader to read .doc files. There is a
new version of Abiword out there right now.

> 3. Is there anyway to make a template up that I can either email or
> update a web page from my N810. I am looking and creating
> a template document for listing my jobs completed so they can be passed
> onto Myob for the accounts people.
>
> If there is anyone out there who also has a palm background who is now
> using a N810 I would love to chat. Maybe even a Skype call or two.

	I used a Palm T|X for a while, I got tired of sending it back for a new
one. Like I mentioned before, it's taken a while to get used to a
different way to do things but I think it's gone rather well. Sorry
about Skype, I'd rather use Gizmo. Look on the ITT website for all sorts
of goodies, try the wiki.

Good Luck,

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>