switching windows

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> I'm quite interested in the reason why Maemo needs a .desktop file
> instead of taking the information from the standard X window properties.
> Is this explained anywhere?

Me too. I was thinking this was misfeature of original maemo-af-desktop
in OS2005 and 6 (and 7?) and was planned to be fixed in hildon-desktop
rewrite. Also at that time I remember some demonstration of
hildon-desktop running on desktop on PC (like Gnome or KDE) where this
feature is normal to expect.

So what is the problem? Why maemo needs to deviate from standard? Why it
cannot work like any linux PC desktop environment with taskbar?

You can't define .desktop files for all random remote applications. Also
this is typical issue people still figh with when porting new applications.

Frantisek