Can't Wifi since loading OS2008

Kalle Valo wrote:
> "ext william maddler" <news at maddler.net> writes:
>
>> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>>> Since installing OS2008 on my N800, I am having trouble using Wifi.  I
>>> created a connection using Connection manager (Tools | Connectivity
>>> settings | Connections).  My N800 used to connect automatically whenever I
>>> turned it on.  Now it does not, and my WAP does not even appear under
>>> Select connection.
>
> [...]
>
>> Perhaps you checked already, but is your WAP broadcasting SSID?
>
> Good point. I have seen cases where people have forgotten that AP uses
> hidden SSID and our UI does not show hidden SSIDs so they just think
> something is broken. In that case the user has to create the
> connection manually through Connectivity Control Panel Applet.
>
> But my recommendation is not to use hidden SSID. It does not improve
> security in any way and makes more difficult to implement WLAN drivers
> (scanning is more complicated etc.).

Yes, but if a SSID is hidden, well from my point of view there is no
reason to *have* to show it in available networks list ;)

If you have an AP not broadcasting SSID, simply create a new connection
by hand. That's it.

BTW, I agree with you that a hidden SSID won't improve network security

--
William Maddler
Visit my blog at http://www.eth0.it