How to access the flash rootfs?

I'd suggest you to create a rootfs and boot from a memory card and then mount
the /dev/mtdblock4 that is your current rootfs of flash memory and
then fix it...

Try something like this:
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howtocreateyourownrootfs/
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howto_easily_boot_from_mmc_card/