Garnet VM

sebastian maemo wrote:

> Nevertheless, I've been thinking about it, and I'm going to uninstall
> it... Why do I want a VM that is going to be privative from May 31th? What
> advantage could I take from using its free apps if I'm not going to be
> able to use them in six monts...?

I was unable to find any indication that they intend to charge for the
software. In fact, there are some press releases from November that use the
language 'available as a /free/ download', and no indication that the
download was a trial, time-limited or something of that nature.

I think it's more likely that they are just want to retain control over the
software, and perhaps force upgrades. They may wish to keep the software
from running on unauthorized devices, and forcing upgrades means that
any 'hacked' software would be of limited use.

Access is in the business of selling to OEMs, not end users. I find it
highly doubtful that they are going to charge for this, because it's more
of a technology demo than an actual marketable end-user product.

--
Andrew Barr