apps install problem

Thanks for your response.

 sebastian wrote:

 > If you download a base-repository.install, this will give
 > information to the Application Manager to configure a new deb
 > repository. That's not what you need. What you need is to
 > download a deb package, and then install it directly.

I'm exploring the mysteries of Red Pill Mode.

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/ApplicationManagerRedPillMode

"This mode used to be an easter egg."

I noticed a blog item claiming that Red Pill Mode bricked an n800.

 > If you've got no wi-fi connection, then Application Manager is
 > unable to refresh package list. You need to do so every time you
 > change your repositories.

Maybe I should use the flasher to install OS2008.  Then I could use
xterm.  I'll assume that WiFi would no longer be mandatory then.

 >> Am I doing something wrong?  There must be some way to install
 >> apps without WiFi.
 >
 > Sure, just manually download the deb packages directly from the
 > web repositories to your PC and then transfer them to your tablet
 > via USB. Then install them directly with Application Manager.

I'll probably just install a WAP and connect it to a wired router.

Tallyho,
Thomas Armagost
silly at well.com
http://sillyblog.net