looped inodes?

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 06:51:58PM -0000, Chris Dobbs wrote:
> Whenever I do a search on the /scratchbox filesystem I get the folloiwng warnings:
>
> find: Filesystem loop detected; `/scratchbox/users/maemo4/scratchbox'
> has the same device number and inode as a directory which is 3 levels
> higher in the filesystem hierarchy.

Yep, it's a bind mount.

> I seem to remember that when I tried to remove a previous installtaion
> of scratchbox I found this problem and never really understood it - I
> just unmounted with sbox_unmount and renamed the dir.

That's fine.

> Can anyone tell me a 'safe' way to remove a scratchobx install as I am
> planning to upgrade soon  - or is there an upgrade method rather than
> blowing away my old install?

I've installed scratchbox with apt-get, and that's how I'll upgrade it
if I ever need to.

Otherwise, use sbox_ctl stop, which should unmount that bind mount.

> Also I found that even thought I removed /scratchbox , when I
> re-installed it seemed to remember my scratchbox users?

If you used apt-get, then I'm not surprised -- IIRC the install script
asks you to select the scratchbox users, and that choice is stored in
/var/cache/debconf/config.dat

Marius Gedminas
--
Please don't put a strain on our friendship
by asking me to do something for you.