modest persistence

Dirk-Jan.Binnema at nokia.com wrote:

Hi Dirk,

Modest is an extremely nice application, nice work!
> Not without changing the source code and recompiling, no. (the change
> isn't too hard, search for the places where MODEST_DIR is used).
>
> Anything particular reason you want to have your ~/.modest elsewhere?

Device memory is finite. The larger your mailbox, the more data is
stored. I for one regularly leave all my mail on my pop3 server to allow
multiple mail clients to sync over time (one at home, one at work, N800).

One potential bug to add to the list (I know this should be a thread,
but I'm not sure if it's just me or really an issue):

I have, as stated, regularly 15000+ emails on my pop3 server account.
Modest handles this up to a point, but if I delete a lot of the
historical messages, it goes completely bezerk. It then takes 5 - 10
minutes to sync every time the mail is checked, yet if I delete the
account and re-create it with the same setting, all is fine again. It
looks like it tries to verify the email exists still every time. Surely
this is not right? Whilst it was taking a long time to sync, I deleted
all the mail in the inbox to see if that would help. Unfortunately, this
had no effect. I'm wondering what will happen when my main email
instance deletes the trailing emails from the account (should only leave
30 days worth, but I tend only to do that once every 2 - 3 months these
days.)

Hope that helps,

Matt