Missing OS2008 cmdline apps (was Re: how to install OS2007?)

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 06:07:47 Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 11:42:01PM -0800, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > Hendrik,
> >
> >   Actually ping requires root on all systems.   Since in order to
> > do icmp you need to put the nic into a different mode than it
> > runs in normally.  The way it is normally done on every other
> > linux distro is to do (as root)
> >
> > chmod u+s /usr/bin/ping   (or /bin/ping on busybox enabled
> > systems)
> >
> > This will, yes, set ping as setuid root.  If you look at any
> > other Linux you see that they all run ping setuid root.
>
> If you do that with /bin/ping on busybox-enabled systems, it will
> set *all* busybox utils (including /bin/sh) setuid root.
>
> Gun. Foot. Safety off.
>
> Good luck,
> Marius Gedminas

Marius,

   Yes it would seem so, and I expected it to happen,  but if you do
chmod u+s /bin/ping ... a normal user can run ping.  But then if you
turn around and do  (after the chmod)

cat /etc/sudoers

As an unprivileged user ... it will give you a permission denied.
(normal reaction) Then I walk over to my debian system and run

chmod u+s /bin/cat

Now on my debian system cat allows me to cat /etc/sudoers  Normally an
unprivileged user cannot cat /etc/sudoers.   Running through the
entire list of apps in /bin linked to busybox shows the same result.
Only ping is setuid root.  Conversly if I do

chmod u-s /bin/ping (removing setuid)
chmod u+s /bin/cat (setting setuid)

cat can cat /etc/sudoers and a normal user cannot ping.

James