Fun crashes on OS2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 03:13:41 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext James Sparenberg wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 December 2007 03:29:05 pm Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >> Two shell crashes on OS2008.  One is reproducible but mostly
> >> harmless:
> >>
> >>   $ type
> >>
> >> /bin/sh segfaults and your session ends.
> >>
> >> The other is not reproducible: while hitting the <Up> key to go
> >> back in history I suddenly got this:
> >>
> >>   ~ $ pidof *** glibc detected *** -sh: double free or
> >> corruption (!prev): 0x0004ed40 ***
> >>
> >> /bin/sh aborts and your session ends.  Scary.
> >>
> >> Marius Gedminas
> >
> > Marius.   I can't get the first one to crash mine.  it instead
> > lists out the busybox info.  As for the second ... I get random
> > crashes form the current xterm (less advanced) version that I
> > can't repeat. More often than not with more than one window open.
> >  But the  one you can get to work regularly doesn't seem to
> > happen.
> >
> > Also just curious but does anyone know why the clear command
> > wasn't compiled into busybox?  Was up until 2008.  Perhaps an
> > oversite?
>
> Why you need it?

it is used in scripts to clear the term window when switching for
example in and out of VI.

> "clear" command comes from ncurses-bin package on Debian along with
> e.g. terminfo database manipulation programs. ncurses-bin is a
> Debian essential and "clear" is also in posix standard so it would
> probably be  good if it would be in the device by default.

Up until now clear was a compiled "applet" in busybox Not supplied by
ncurses-bin Unfortunately ... ncurses-bin  is installed ... and it
doesn't have the command (in the maemo version) as in the past it
would have conflicted with the busy box version of clear.

> Busybox package doesn't provide ncurses-bin and from the binaries
> included into that package Busybox binary could be configured
> to provided only clear and reset.   I'm not sure how nice it would
> be to have that limited ncurses-bin package in the device...
> The terminfo database tools shouldn't be necessary there. :-)

Your right one package isn't expected to supply the another.  But here
again.  check OS2007 OS2006 and OS2005 busybox in all of them
supplied clear on maemo.