Playing MPEG-2 or .tivo files on N800 OS2008

Hi.

I'm new to the N800 and did an upgrade to the latest OS2008.

I have discovered that OS2008 is not backwards compatible with OS2007 in
terms of packages you can install.

In particular there is a Media Player package ready to install on the
OS2007 page but not on the OS2008 page.  If I try installing it anyway I
get an error message.

Can anyone tell me what is involved in creating a version of the
.install file that works for OS2008.  Or if someone is planning to put
one up in the near future, please let us know.

I am interested in at least one other package too:  Free42.  This is the
emulation of the HP42 calculator.  I am able to install it easily to an
ordinary Linux desktop.  I have confirmed that the version on the OS2007
download page works when I have OS2007 installed but not when I have
OS2008 installed.

There is also another application I like to run on a Linux desktop that
I haven't seen at all on the download pages.  Presumably other people
aren't interested.  If I want to get it working, it sounds like I have
to learn how to use Scratchbox and try to create the .install file
myself.  Is that the correct direction?

Should I be directing these questions to the developers list?

-Will