Installing OS2008 on N800

Neil MacLeod wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> I started at maemo.org and clicked on the announcement of the first
>> official OS2008 Update link, which took me to
>> http://maemo.org/news/announcements/view/first_official_os2008_update.html.
>> On there, I clicked on the N800 image, which took me to
>> http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php?f=RX-34_2008SE_1.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin,
>> where I submitted the info and proceeded to download the image. So I
>> started on the maemo home page and took two obvious links to the
>> download area. I did not go to any developer site. I simply followed the
>> obvious links from maemo.org, as any user might be expected to do.
>> Nowhere, on those pages, was there any install info that I could see.
>>

> >From your first link:
>
> "The OS2008 User Site[1] has a comprehensive list of features of the OS2008. You can also check the content comparison tables done at a package level:
>
>   * RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.38-2 (latest OS2007) vs. current: content[2] - changes[3]
>   * RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.44-4 (OS2008 developer beta) vs. current: content[4] - changes[5]"
>
> Not only does the article on maemo.org provide you with a link to a dedicated user site (suggesting maemo.org isn't an end-user site) but it goes on to provide you with details of package level changes in the operating system. Do you really think the article you discovered is applicable to ordinary every day end users? It's clearly an article aimed at developers or more knowledgeable/technically capable end users who already understand the background to the topic being discussed.
>
> If you don't fall into either category, don't blame the lack of instructions - educate yourself by reading the documentation resources readily available on maemo.org and elsewhere, or stick to the end-user sites (which, by the way, if you'd bothered to follow the provided links contain full OS updating instructions and much more).
>
> Neil
>

> 1. http://nokia.com/os2008
> 2. http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/changes/50-2_vs_38-2_comparison.html
> 3. http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/changes/50-2_vs_38-2_changes.html
> 4. http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/changes/50-2_vs_44-4_comparison.html
> 5. http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/changes/50-2_vs_44-4_changes.html

I click on that "The OS2008 User Site[1] has a comprehensive" link,
which takes me to http://europe.nokia.com/A4579470. On there, I don't
see anything obvious, so I click on N800, which goes to
http://europe.nokia.com/A4579470. I then click on "Support and
software", which goes to http://europe.nokia.com/A4579470. There, under
Software update, I click on Download software update. Which takes me to
http://europe.nokia.com/A4579470, where I find "For updating your
software using a Linux computer, go to www.maemo.org
<http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_FlashLatestNokiaImageWithLinux?highlight=%28CategoryFlashing%29>.",
which is exactly where I started from.