Installing OS2008 on N800

James Knott wrote:
>> http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410958
>
> Thanks. I wonder if there's some logical reason why that info was not
> provided on the download page?
> Sometimes, I get the feeling Nokia deliberately tries to make things
> difficult.

Because you downloaded the firmware from a site intended for developers and more sophisticated/knowledgeable end users where such instructions are unnecessary - the flashing instructions are covered in depth in various Wikis, including that at maemo.org.

The standard end user page with instructions is the page linked above - once your install the software it does everything for you.