Battery Life N800 + OS2008

with regard to modest, it supports imap idle and seems to refresh
instantly.  i just set the poll time to 2 hours and yet see my new
messages immediately.

this seems to stop the new mail notices which i am guessing reduces
the load as that seems to be triggered by the active polling.  nice
though as there is no need for an every 5 min check.  short tap on the
home key gives you a view into how many unreads you have in your
selected mailbox.