help!? my N810 seems dead(ish)

Peter Flynn wrote:
> Joshua Layne wrote:
>> Basically, my Nokia had a low battery yesterday...
>> ..Any thoughts for troubleshooting this...
>
> I have the identical problem, and some poking around revealed that the
> wire from the charger to the unit is internally broken close to (or
> within) the rat-tail that comes out of the charger plug.
>
> These chargers seem to be very fragile, which is disappointing for
> something that cannot be replaced easily (not in stores), and the
> closest (N95 charger) costs ?25.  They also cannot be opened for a
> simple rewiring repair, even after removing the two retaining screws, as
> they appear to be sealed.
>
> How do I buy a replacement charger (or 3 or 4 of them if they are fragile)?

I had a similar problem - as you say, the wire is very fragile
(I would say "not of satisfactory quality", which is the legal
test to be able to get a refund in the UK - Not sure about Ireland
- though I bought it through the Irish site since they didn't
charge for postage :-)

The local Nokia Service place couldn't help since it was not a
phone on the list of models they service. They offered to post
the whole thing away to Nokia for a while - even though we
could both see the copper sticking through the cable.
I declined.

Returning stuff is more of a problem with mail-order goods.

I "solved" the problem when I got a Nokia E50 (with a decently
robust wire coming out of the charger). It now charges both my
devices.

I wish there were better news...

Paul