OS2008: .bashrc or .bash_profile?

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 01:03:57AM -0800, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007 01:04:48 am Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> > Laurent MARTIN wrote:
> > As for .bashrc you can have it working with ash too. Just create
> > ~/.profile with something like:
> >
> > # ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.
> >
> > if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
> >    . ~/.bashrc

I wouldn't name it .bashrc -- you'll be tempted to start putting in
bashisms in it.

I've got an ~/.ashrc on my N800 to remind me what shell it uses. (Of
course you need the 'export ENV=$HOME/.ashrc' to tell ash where to
find it:

> > and it works. You can also set ENV to ~/.bashrc to have it read for
> > every shell (not just login shell from .profile)
> > export ENV=~/.bashrc
>
> ash for me is fine.  I just miss vim right now....

There will be vim for OS2008 eventually.  If you've got a Scratchbox
with chinook, you can build it from the source package I convinced
mud-builder to produce for me.  It's at
http://mg.pov.lt/770/dists/bora/user/source/

> *grin*  but you do
> bring up a point to remember.  Don't forget the .profile.  Just
> curious.  Does the IT do colors?

You mean the terminal emulator?  Yes, it does.  It does many things,
including, e.g., vim's mouse support.

Marius Gedminas
--
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The opinions