Incoming IMs refused in OS 2006

> I have just noticed that there is no real notification for incoming IMs when using the built-in Gtalk IM client.  I am running 2.2006.39-14
> I can initiate IM messages to contacts just fine.  And, I noticed that the IM is received, as when I was testing with a friend, I pulled up the IM client to send the contact a message, and there the tests were, just waiting for me to find them.
> Is there a way to have the incoming IM message pop up on the screen when I am logged in and marked as available?

Not really my point of interest, but I tried to go around
protocol changes in icq. Newest centerim is said to "see"
users as alive. Some 15 days ago even on centericq I had
contact "online" and "#" when the message is on the way.
Now it's gone. No big deal to me, since I don't take it as
necessary this days. Fine to play with, yes.

                                Zoran