further beating on OS2008 beta

On Thursday 29 November 2007 06:37:43 am Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 01:49 -0800, ext James Sparenberg wrote:
> > Why did they remove the useful tabs and replace it with multiple
> > windows?   Given that there is no WM in the traditional sense you
> > can't resize and move between them easily.  Tabs afforded the
> > ability to quickly manage multiple term windows (my record on the
> > IT is 10 tabs.) Windows bring this to a grinding halt.
>
> Because the platform style is multiple windows. And tabs wasted
> quite a lot of *terminal window* space. Also if you have 10 tabs,
> you cannot see pretty much anything relevant from the tab titles.
> Sure your case of 10 tabs is a bit special too - maybe you could
> just use "screen" instead?
>
> Multiple windows is consistent with the rest of the platform. I
> also think it makes sense for the same reason the browser does not
> have tabs: Tabs work a lot better in a large desktop where you can
> drag windows around and group some of them together. Since
> everything is fullscreen, tabs would just duplicate the function of
> the window switcher. You probably won't have *that* many apps open
> at once in a tablet anyway compared to a desktop computer anyway.
>
> > Why did they move the "button" bar to the bottom.  Down there is
> > steals valuable screen real-estate from you.
>
> It steals screen estate no matter where it is. The bottom-one is
> (again) consistent with the rest of the device, and it is easier to
> reach with fingers (remember the N810 has the keyboard so you hold
> it a bit differently in your hands!)

Note.  You tell tabs are no good because the use up screen space then
put a large bar on the bottom....   Also I'm using the n800 which
needs the bar.  With the n810 ... you always have a keyboard,  You
don't need the bar at all.

> You can also hide the whole toolbar if you want.

good on the n810 not on the n800....

> > Why is it that they split the adjust background color and font
> > color into two different locations in the settings gui?
>
> This is in the "we'll laugh over this when we are old" -category.
> ;)

And be glad that Jeff Raskin isn't around to blast you on that UI
decision ;)

> > Why did they increase the steps to use the ctrl key in the button
> > bar? Before to do cntrl-c it was 2 clicks one on cntrl one on c
> > ... now it's 5.  cntrl - text box - c - ok - screen  during this
> > time the keyboard closes 2 or 3 times.  This can make vi a real
> > PITA too.
>
> Because a lot of stuff works differently with the physical
> keyboard. And because I have no clue if the input method works
> differently on the N800 with N810 OS release shoehorned into it?
> :-)

So now if I'm understanding you correct .... Nokia is saying pox on
the n800 user we are off on a different bend once again.

> > Perhaps I'm just using the IT differently from most, I don't view
> > it as sterility a muti-media toy.  To me it's my #1 tool for
> > doing my job, so perhaps I'm a bit sensitive.  Sorry if I sound
> > ranty I don't mean to be but I am wondering why so may drastic
> > changes were made to a really good app.
>
> The bottom line is: there is still the old one you can just rebuild
> for os2008 if it hasnt been built yet, and use that. We just made a
> version that could be shipped with the N810 for convenience.

No this is not a solution for a consumer product.  You and I both know
this.  I guess I'm really going to have to find a viable replacement
for the n800 I can't be switching hardware every year on a whim.

> Also, the source is in garage as osso-xterm, so go and tweak it to
> your liking if you wish. I think all this "new" UI stuff is in the
> "ui-rework"-branch.

It doesn't build.  The whole library structure is different from a -to
b and I'm not a C programmer.