n800 user reviews

Hi,

ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:15:19AM +0200, Eero Tamminen wrote:
>> If you want to use larger memory cards, please make sure that your
>> N800 contains the latest release.  Earlier releases could corrupt
>>  >= 2GB cards:
>>    http://maemo.org/news/announcements/view/1191328183.html
>
> Hm, was that bug only for >= 2GB cards?  I had a 512MB SD card die
> completely in my N800's external slot.

Interesting.  Of <2GB cards, I had heard of only one 1GB card dying and
that was with a very early internal Chinook kernel version so it could
have been also something else besides bug 1024 (like broken test
kernel or otherwise broken card).

The bug wasn't related to card size per se, it was related to how much
power the card requires from the MMC port, what it does after it has
acknowledged receiving the data written to it and how it reacts if
it gets less power while not being used.  It's just that the larger
cards in general use more power (and are more fragile?), but that
differs a *lot* between different cards/models of even same size.

	- Eero