n800 user reviews

Hi,

ext Jon Dodson wrote:
> ive checked the specs and pricing on the n800 and i was wondering if anyone
> had some honest feedback after using it for a few months++.  The review
> sites rate it based on a few days of use(if that) and thats not a really
> good review of how good or bad it is.
>
> i am a power user who plans on installing apt, bash, ssh(client) and
> mplayer, etc to get stuff to work like it were a small(form factor)
> laptop.   with that specifically:
>
> can i plug in usb stuff to it?  i can get usb converters i dont care about
> that.
>
> do bluetooth headsets work with it?  as in you got something to work?  if so
> what kind?
>
> battery is advertised to be about 3 hours for wifi and 5 for video, does
> that seem to mesh with your experience?
>
> does the battery life degrade over time badly?

Largest effect on the battery consumption is from WLAN access points
that don't implement the WLAN power management properly[1]  any 3rd
party stuff that you install if that SW contains something that
constantly does things on the background or uses network often.

[1] I think maemo.org contains somewhere a list of these broken
     WLAN AP devices which you could avoid.

> did you find yourself needing more than the two flash card slots?  do you
> use more than 4 gigs of storage(2 gig sd seems cheap now).

If you want to use larger memory cards, please make sure that your
N800 contains the latest release.  Earlier releases could corrupt
   http://maemo.org/news/announcements/view/1191328183.html

> how is the UI overall?  i can console but i do enjoy ease of use(i find
> gnome easy to use).

	- Eero