n800 user reviews

Fred -- get ready to really be happy with either your current N800 or
the new N810.... (see below)

On 10/30/07, Fred Chittenden <drfredc at drfredc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:54:19 -0700
> "Jon Dodson" <jbdodson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ive checked the specs and pricing on the n800 and i was wondering if
> > anyone had some honest feedback after using it for a few months++.
> > The review sites rate it based on a few days of use(if that) and
> > thats not a really good review of how good or bad it is.
> >
> > i am a power user who plans on installing apt, bash, ssh(client) and
> > mplayer, etc to get stuff to work like it were a small(form factor)
> > laptop.   with that specifically:
> >
> > can i plug in usb stuff to it?  i can get usb converters i dont care
> > about that.
> >
> > do bluetooth headsets work with it?  as in you got something to
> > work?  if so what kind?
> >
> > battery is advertised to be about 3 hours for wifi and 5 for video,
> > does that seem to mesh with your experience?
> >
> > does the battery life degrade over time badly?
> >
> > did you find yourself needing more than the two flash card slots?  do
> > you use more than 4 gigs of storage(2 gig sd seems cheap now).
> >
> > how is the UI overall?  i can console but i do enjoy ease of use(i
> > find gnome easy to use).
> >
> > appreciate the feedback(if any).
> >
> My n800 has almost replaced my laptop.  I use the n800 about 70% of the
> time I'd otherwise have used my laptop.
>
> *  I carry it almost everywhere
> since I can almost always find an open wifi signal in a few minutes if I
> want to hook up.
>
> * It's good, not great at youtube like stuff,  It doesn't do quicktime
> movies, so far.

The new update to the OS and Browser with Flash 9 make this
considerably better.  Flash is smooth on YouTube and you can do MP4
now as well.

> *No blue tooth earphones -- but then that would cut
> battery life, especially if one attemped wifi internet and blue tooth
> ear phones at the same time.  I'll err on the side of battery life,
> besides the n800 ear phones are also the fm radio antenna.

You'll be able to pair and use a headset for VOIP ... works great!
Sure it uses a bit of battery, but you can choose to use it when you
need it rather than leaving it on all the time.

> *No office suite,  so far.

Google Docs is a default bookmark on the new unit (and I presume in
the firmware in general).  The site works remarkably well this time
around and is something I've been really using much more on my desktop
since I can easily access things as they are from the tablet.

> *It worked great in Europe phoning home (USA) at 1.2 cents a minute
> using
> gismo project.

Skype, Gizmo and Gtalk are "built in" and you can also add additional
SIP service accounts if you like and need them.

>  It boots up quickly, or you can suspend key and screen for immediate
> access with long battery life.

Finding the N810 boots even more quickly -- though to be honest I
don't ever turn it off.