N800 messed up after installation of LCARS theme.

Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Jonathan Greene <atmasphere at atmasphere.net> wrote:
>> On 10/30/07, Michael Bernhard Arp S?rensen <karneevor at provingground.dk> wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Has anyone of you had that problem before?
>>>
>>> My application manager does not start either. Is there a way to fix that?
>> Have you tried removing it?
>
> "It" being what in this context?
> The application manager? I wouldn't suggest that.
> The LCARS theme? Hard to do if his application manager doesn't work.
>
> Michael, I have installed the LCARS theme in the past (in fact, it
> might have been last halloween :]) without difficulty and it was
> probably on the 770 and not the N800. More recent firmware could have
> changed how things work causing the theme to not install correctly
> anymore. In fact, there is a big fat warning on the homepage stating
> such things:
>
> from http://synthesize.us/LCARS_PADD :
>
> "WARNING:These themes have an incompatibility with Nokia's July 6,
> 2007, software update for N800 (version 4.2007.26-8) which results in
> the original statusbar and task navigator icons failing to be restored
> upon uninstallation of a theme. So, pending a workaround, do not
> install LCARS on the new OS (unless you want to keep it :) "

I checked my version and it wasn't that one so I installed LCARS Brigde
and the sounds. It's impressive and I'd love to keep it...BUT: it screws
up GPE Calendar because each appointment is displayed in white on pale
yellow which is illegible, and I haven't found any way to reconfigure
the colours (if anyone has this info for GPE or LCARS please let me
know). The only buglet in the Home interface was that there was no image
showing for the web icon (top LH corner).

So I went back to Adria. There does still seem to be some instability in
the diversion and replacement of icons, as the second icon down on the
LH side was missing. Reinstalled, and now the tray at the top showed new
(LCARS) icons which weren't there before. Gave up on finding any info on
how to fix GPE Calendar colours, so I went to use Balaton and
uninstalled the packages entirely. The tray icons still show LCARS (not
a problem) and the sounds are still there :-) but the second icon down
is back, but the top one and the third one are missing entirely.

> Reflashing the firmware will hopefully clear things up. Hopefully this
> theme gets fixed up to work with more recent firmware.

I've only had the N800 a week, so I'd rather not reflash and lose
everything yet. The current settings are workable, and if I can find a
way to fix the GPE colours when LCARS is active, I'd go back to LCARS
permanently.

///Peter