Brick after battery dying?

Hi,

ext Alan Williamson wrote:
>> Have you installed _any_ extra software to the device?
>>
>> (WLAN AP that doesn't implement power management properly can be also an
>> issue.)
>
> of course!  Hasn't everyone? :)

Yes, it's encouraged, but 3rd party software can have all kind of
issues, battery drainage being one of them.

> but this extra software is not run all the time; they are on-demand
> as-and-when.  For example the RealVNC client, and Canola.

For example canola adds system service(s) to the device.
It's only the UI that's run on-demand, I think there's
Avahi daemon and if that has frequent network activity,
i.e. keeps WLAN on, that can take battery pretty fast.

> Although the
> onboard mediaplayer handles streaming music just fine so i haven't had
> the need to use it.

You can use top (or htop from extras repo) to see whether anything
is using CPU.  The percentage of CPU usage is not important, but
how often CPU isn't used.  If CPU is used _at all_, the device cannot
sleep and save battery.

Network activity should happen _much_ less frequently than CPU usage.

	- Eero