newbie issues with jabber and web certs

Two things that would make my shiny new n800 really useful to me don't
seem to work...

One is connecting to my jabber server which requires TLS.  The chat
application doesn't seem to do this wchi puzzles me.  Since there is
an option for "old style SSL"  I figured the default (with this box
unchecked) whould be "new style" TLS, but running wire shark on the
server clearly shows the n800 doesn't send a STARTTLS, though it
clearly is connecting to the right server on the right port (5222).

Am I dumb or is the application?  If it's me what do I need to do, if
it's the app is there a better opensource engine that's been ported?

The other thing is using personal certificates with the browser.  I
got mine imported and the Certificate Manager has a nice little check
box for "web", but the browser doesn't seem to use them.  I tried this
with both the default Opera based engine and the Firefox basec MicroB
engine, wtf?

Thanks,
-Jon