Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

On Friday 19 October 2007 09:26:07 Steve Greenland wrote:
> According to James Sparenberg  <james at linuxrebel.org>:
> > On Thursday 18 October 2007 11:30:34 Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > > I sincerely hope Maemo Extras rejects sourceless packages.
> > >
> > > Marius Gedminas
> >
> > Marius,
> >
> >    I would hope that they reject binary packages period, in that like
> > every distro I've worked with you submit a src (rpm deb tgz etc) and the
> > distro builds from that file so that at least some assurance can be made
> > that it's build from the correct environment.
>
> Actually, Debian requires a binary upload of at least one architecture.
> Then the autobuilders build for all the other architectures.
>
> About once a year someone proposes source-only uploads. The argument
> against is that with a binary upload, you have at least some hope that
> the developer has installed and tested the package. With source-only
> uploads, there the temptation to make "just one little change" and
> upload without building and testing.
>
> Maintaining an auto-build system is non-trivial.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

Steve,

    I can agree that maintaining an auto-build will drive you nuts. I maintain
part of the one we have at our company.  (what do you mean it lost a file?)
I know what had to be done at Mandrake both for new releases and for back
ports.  Here though there is the "Apple Advantage" in that the environments
are tightly controlled by Nokia.  All 770's match hardware.  No two x86
systems are alike.

    On the binary vs source uploads I guess it's obvious where I stand.  I'm a
lot more paranoid than I should be most likely.

James