Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

On Thursday 18 October 2007 11:30:34 Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:48:35PM +0000, Steve Greenland wrote:
<snip>

> My other pet peeve is that this encourages binary-only debs which you
> can't then fix/port to a different SDK version.
>
> I sincerely hope Maemo Extras rejects sourceless packages.
>
> Marius Gedminas

Marius,

   I would hope that they reject binary packages period, in that like every
distro I've worked with you submit a src (rpm deb tgz etc) and the distro
builds from that file so that at least some assurance can be made that it's
build from the correct environment.

   You then have 3 levels of packages.  1. Nokia produced and vetted.  2.
Packages created by "Authorized" developers (ones know and trusted by Nokia)
aka Extra's then contrib.  Various users/packagers/developers not as well
know can contribute src packages here for a contribs section.  This last
section of course, having a much lower guarantee of functional quality.

James