Newbie questions

> * How can you make an application (eg: claws-mail) start
> automatically at power-up? (I'm happy working at the command
> prompt as root.)

I don't know if it's the right way to do this, but I can successfully
start an application at startup on my Nokia 770 (N800 might differ) after
doing these steps:

1) experiment in terminal to find the exact command with absolute path you
can use to launch the desired app;

2) become root

3) modify the file "/etc/osso-af-init/real-af-startup" inserting a new
line after the n. 91, where it says "rm -f /tmp/im_disable_tools_menu"

4) write in the new line the command tested at step 1)

PS: If you're looking for a simple way to modify the "real-af-startup"
file, you can install "mc" (Midnight Commander), it has a builtin editor.

On reboot, it should load your app...
But, *PLEASE*, wait for other replies because this one is a somehow
dangerous way and if something goes wrong you will have to find a way to
edit the file back to normal; if there's no way, you'll have to reflash.
For caution, you should install open-ssh first.

--
Antonio