4.2007.38-2 available

"ext James Sparenberg" <james at linuxrebel.org> writes:

> Marius, In reply to the space constraint and upgrade done to the
> entire OS.  This was first solved in URPMI for Mandrake around 8.1
> (Now called Mandriva) and AFAIK it has been ported into the
> dist-upgrade feature for dpkg/apt.

I don't know what you are referring to excatly, but I too think that
there is no fundamental problem to be solved here.

Apt doesn't do the trick of splitting the update into pieces so that
you don't need to download all package before unpacking the first one.
I think that in theory it should be possible to only download a
package immediately before it is unpacked and delete the archive file
afterwards again.

This approach would make the update much less reliable, tho, since a
download failure can interrupt it.

Right now, I do think we have the space needed for the packages,
except maybe for whole-OS-updates on devices that don't have any
memory card.  I hope these are rare.

> Synaptic will run on the Nokia if you need a gui.  Heck I've got in
> on my blackdog and that was even more constrained than the Nokia is.

The goal is to give "apt-get dist-upgrade" to everybody, not just
those that know how to use apt-get or Synaptic.  But, yeah, we should
have given it to the apt-getting crowd first and earlier.