Updates in red-pill mode

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:30:22PM +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Thomas Leavitt wrote:
> > I will note, however, and I'm not entirely sure why, that with no
> > applications running (other than the notice bar stuff at the top), my
> > system consumes 60 megs of memory... I just got a new 2 gb MMC card, so
> > I've enabled 64 mb of virtual memory (I had 24 before, on the 64 meg
> > card, and I regularly ran it to 90% of total memory used). It doesn't
> > seem reasonable to me that the OS would consume all available memory and
> > leave nothing for applications, but I don't know if I've "customized"
> > the thing enough that the memory usage profile is anomalous.
>
> How do you measure that it consumes 60 MB of memory?
> (without swap, you should count it from /proc/meminfo:
> MemTotal-MemFree-Buffers-Cached)
>
> What top & ps say to consume most memory?  What extra processes
> (ssh etc) you have running and do you have any (extra) Desktop applets
> running?

One annoying thing about the 'free' utility included in the image is
that it doesn't show Cached (which is usually about 30 megs just after
boot), so it appears that you've only got 1.4 megs free  IIRC 'top' also
omits Cached and gives the same misrepresentation.

Marius Gedminas
--
<AdamV> SamB: PHP's basic control structure is the "database
        timeout error".                       -- from Twisted.Quotes