help: root privilege problem regarding boot menu and the new kernel! n800

jerry f stutte wrote:

> This time however upon reboot I noticed after booting to the mmc2
> partition that I had lost my root privileges?

What do you mean by this? Please provide more details.

> The only thing I can figure is, when answering the question "Remove
> unneeded extra stuff." I somehow am removing my root/gainroot privelege

No :-) Bootmenu installation touches only initfs partition, it does not
touch your rootfs at all.

> I assume I can just answer no! to the remove unneeded extra stuff! to
> solve the problem.

Try it. I guess it won't help at all.

> Another question when I re-install the kernel and boot-menu software do
> I need to flatten the sdhc partition containing the cloned files
> system.

No, kernel or bootmenu installation is not related to mmc partition at
all. You don't need to touch it if you don't want.

> Or will the tar routine overwrite the partition.

You mean format or clear it? No. If you want to clone system from
scratch then format the partition via mke2fs before mounting it.

> I attempted to clean a partition I had bad block reports on the card
> and was unable to use that partition again (the card was only a couple
> of weeks old).

Sounds like bad card. Returning it might be the best option.

Frantisek