help: root privilege problem regarding boot menu and the new kernel! n800

Hello,

Over the last few days I finally got around to installing the latest
kernel release for the N800.

release: RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.26-8_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

I partitioned a new sdhc card to have 5.5 gig of drive space formatted
as ext2 (2nd part)
and
2.5 gig of FAT.

I followed up the install of the kernel with the boot menu install from
"Fanoush's" Modified initfs on screen boot menu for the N800.

I followed the directions with success and followed the install up with
the "now its time to clone the original system!"

I done this routine several time on a couple of n770's and a n800.

This time however upon reboot I noticed after booting to the mmc2
partition that I had lost my root privileges?

I typically run my devices in R&D mode.  I typically do not set
passwords until after I am finished installing all software on the new
partition!

The only thing I can figure is, when answering the question "Remove
unneeded extra stuff." I somehow am removing my root/gainroot privelege
(e.g. I loose wireless communication and su root privileges rendering
the device useless as a wireless tablet).

Can anyone tell me how to avoid this problem!

I can/will reinstall the kernel to the device/ but would like to avoid
loosing super user privileges to the device and would like to avoid
software loosing privileges as well.

I assume I can just answer no! to the remove unneeded extra stuff! to
solve the problem.  I was hoping to create as much extra space on the
internal initfs as possible.

Another question when I re-install the kernel and boot-menu software do
I need to flatten the sdhc partition containing the cloned files
system.  Or will the tar routine overwrite the partition.  The last time
I attempted to clean a partition I had bad block reports on the card
and was unable to use that partition again (the card was only a couple
of weeks old).
Does any one know of a way to reclaim the cards bad partition.  Perhaps
using dd command over writing the entire card contents, with the
contents of a new card.

Sincerely

Jerry Stutte