Need an SSH client for the Nokia 800

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 18:51 +0100, ext Neil MacLeod wrote:
> Wayne Fiori wrote:
> > On 8/22/07, Neil MacLeod <gmane at nmacleod.com> wrote:
> >> I quite agree, however I almost exclusively need the server component on the N800 - I very rarely ssh from the N800 to another machine, it's almost always the other way around. However installing the server appears to install the client, which is why I don't see much point in offering the client as a separate install (which may lead to confusion for novices) although I suppose the presence of client is valid for a small number of "power users" who categorically don't need the server.
> >>

> > I would hardly characterize using the N800 has a terminal (ssh client)
> > as the province of power users.
> > --
> > =Wayne
> I would hardly expect novice users to be needing that kind of functionality... perhaps "power user" was a bit excessive. :) On the whole though, I would expect the server component to be installed far more often than the client-only component... and those few people who don't want the server can always stop it from running.

I would hardly expect novice users to even think about shell access to
the device :)
I think if user aware of ssh she is able to understand the difference
between server and client.

> All I'm saying is that up until now we've had a single openssh package which seems to have worked well, why now create two separate packages, one of which installs the other? The benefit from having a client-only package seems minimal. My preference would be to rename the new server package "Server & Client" and drop the new client-only package, however I doubt that will happen and fully expect to see new users on the IIT forums installing the client-only package by mistake and needing hand-holding to fix it (not that it's hard to fix it, but then it's not hard to stop the server running either!).
> :)
Up until now we had a package which was invisible in AM. I'd say that
from user point of view this package didn't exist at all. Now they can
install server and client from AM, which is much better than it was, I
believe.

PS: If people want we can remove those two 'frustrating' packages from
extras, no problem. I just wanted to help, sorry.

--
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh at nokia.com>
Nokia-M/Helsinki