Nokia 770 Apps That Sync With Linux Apps (Ryan Pavlik)

> I've used GPE, OpenSync, and Evolution, but I know there are K-app sync
> plugins for OpenSync and so I'd imagine with just a little
> experimentation my instructions would apply.
> http://cleardefinition.com/page/Sync_Evolution_and_GPE_on_N800/ is the
> link (don't be fooled by the name - It should work on a 770 just as
> well).  The step you'd need to change is in "*Set up
> MultiSync-Gui/OpenSync on Desktop"*, 4. "Add Member", "Evolution 2.x".
>  From what I see on the OpenSync web page, you'd select "kdepim" there.
> (This would sync calendar, todo, and contacts, I believe - make sure
> that you choose to compile the kdepim plugin if you build OpenSync
> yourself.)
>
> For synchronizing notes, since those are just simple files (actually
> HTML files that import great into AbiWord on the desktop for converting
> to any format you like), you might try Unison - it's kind of a like a
> two-directional "rsync", if you've heard of that.  I've never gotten
> Unison to work for me, but I've only put about 3-5 minutes into trying
> :)  If you only want to transfer notes from 770 to desktop, following
> the steps to set up the SSH needed in my guide will get the tough stuff
> for rsync set up easily.  Then, just install rsync on both 770 and
> desktop, and install Grsync (or a comparable KDE app) and sync to your
> heart's content!  (I've done this - works well.  Your documents are in
> /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/ I believe.)
>
> Good luck!  If you get these syncs to work out, let me know and I'll
> update my guide so that I don't leave out the KDE folks.

I used Ryan's guide to get get sync to work between GPE (n800) and KDE
PIM (kubuntu 7.04).  It was not problem at all - just some slight
tweaking to use KDE PIM instead of Evolution.

Don't hesitate to ask some questions if you run into problems.

Lawrence Hegarty