how to install GPE Calendar?

On Friday 17 August 2007 11:23, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> "ext Graham Cobb" <g+770 at cobb.uk.net> writes:
> > "Click to install" doesn't work on the 770.
>
> It works 'somwewhat'.  The Application Manager will silently ignore
> files that are not compatible with the 770 instead of complaining
> loudly.  (I don't really remember if there was a good reason for this
> or if I just screwed up.  I guess I just screwed up.  But then again I
> didn't expect that version of the AM to stick around for so long...)
>
> But, downloads.maemo.org claims that GPE Calendar works with both IT
> OS 2007 and IT OS 2006, so the .install file should have entries for
> both.  It only has one for IT OS 2007, tho, and that is the problem:
>
>     [install]
>     repo_name = GPE main
>     repo_deb_3  = deb http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/ bora user
>     package   = gpe-calendar
>
> > You have to add the repository to the Application Manager by hand.
> > In the Application Manager, use the Tools/Application
> > catalogue... menu item and add a new catalogue.  If you go to
> > http://www.cobb.uk.net/770 you will see the details you need to
> > enter (you want the "gregale" distribution).
>
> Then the .install file should look like this:
>
>     [install]
>     repo_name = GPE main
>     repo_deb    = deb http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/ gregale user
>     repo_deb_3  = deb http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/ bora user
>     package   = gpe-calendar

By the way, this reminds me one more unresolved Nokia 770 .install
files related issue. Extras repository has 'mistral', 'scirocco'
and 'gregale' distributions. When creating .install files, one of them
should be selected for the use with 'repo_deb' variable.

Now suppose that we have two applications available in extras repository, but
one of them specifies 'mistral' distribution in the install file and the other
one specifies 'gregale'. Examples of such applications are mplayer and maemo
mapper. Here are the .install files for them from downloads.maemo.org:

[install]
repo_name  = Maemo Extras
repo_deb   = deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras mistral free non-free
repo_deb_3 = deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras bora free non-free
package    = mplayer

[install]
repo_name  = Maemo Extras
repo_deb   = deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras gregale free non-free
repo_deb_3 = deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras bora free non-free
package    = maemo-mapper

If we try to install both of these applications using .install files
to a clean (just reflashed) OS2006, the second application will fail
with 'Operation failed' error message because of incompatible repositories
specified in .install files.

In order to solve this problem, it would be better to agree on the use of the
same distribution keyword for all the .install files for extras repository. So
either mplayer or maemo mapper .install file is 'wrong' and needs to be fixed.
I could find only this official document with a description of .install files
for OS2006 and it only mentions 'mistral' distribution:
https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/trunk/osso-application-installer/doc/repository.txt

Marius, could you (or somebody else from Nokia) update this document to
clarify the use of .install files for extras repository? Providing
some .install file template recommended for the use with OS2006 and extras
repository should be enough. After that we can check all the .install files
for OS2006 at downloads.maemo.org and submit bugreports to the corresponding
projects with a reference to the updated document. Resolving this issue is
quite important for the applications from extras repository which still
need (or want) to provide support for OS2006.