Need an SSH client for the Nokia 800

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 02:14:56PM -0500, Paul Klapperich wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> > ssh: I use OpenSSH myself, which is not straightforward to install, and
> > comes in a single package that bundles the server and the client.
> >
> > http://maemo.org/downloads/product/openssh
> >
> > This page describes the trick needed to install OpenSSH:
> > http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationmanagerredpillmode/
>
> Doesn't the .install file on maemo.org's download section work?

It only works if you enable red-pill mode.  That's because 'ssh' is a
system package (it's section is not "user/*").

> On a related note, somehow I have a dummy package that shows up
> without red-pill mode. I'm not sure which repository it's located in,
> but I believe it's called "OpenSSH" and simply has the ssh package as
> a dependency. That's how I installed it last time, iirc, but I'm not
> sure where that package came from.

I created it as an experiment, but it doesn't work reliably.
openssh-installer from a repository at mg.pov.lt depends on ssh from the
maemo SDK repository.  By default neither of those repositories are
present in the application catalogue, and the .install file would need
to add both, which is impossible with the current .install file format.

> Seems to me the .install file hosted on Maemo.org should install this
> package instead of ssh if it doesn't work.

Someone should take the ssh package from the SDK repository, change the
section to user/net, and upload it to the Maemo Extras repository.

(I've been vaguely planning to do this for about a year now, so don't
hold your breath.  Also, first I'd need to figure out how you upload
packages to Maemo Extras, and by 'figure out' I mean 'read the
documentation page that explains it'.)

Marius Gedminas
--
1 4m 5o 3l337! just got r00t on this <a href="127.0.0.1">k3wl site</a> j00
sux0r5!