Sprint's N800 with WiMAX

For use other than simple voice (gsm, 3g) a cellular chip would present
some REAL political obstacles in US of course.

Most US carriers (except Sprint) terms of service (tos) forbid anything
other than straight html and pop/imap with ssl all around. Any
streaming, voip, etc. (sigh) constitutes a violation and your contract
can be terminated along with you paying fees. Most carriers
intentionally cripple the hardware (face camera removal on Hermes for
ATT) or firmware (bt dun removal).

They are very afraid of a web experience they don't control...in part
because networks aren't where rest of world's are...and also because
they offer competing 'services' disallowing what you already should be
able to do on your "unlimited" plan.

Even a business grade account doesn't change tos...your only option for
privacy is vpn...and this may unnecessarily cripple you...and you're
still in violation of tos doing this anyways, so...

Maybe gsm could be haggled but full 3g ala evdo or hsdpa may not be
possible anytime soon. This 'quandary' makes me straddle
carriers...8525/ATT for most capable phone and ST5111/Sprint data card
for getting 'work done' while on the road.

I'd love to replace my 8525 with a device I wouldn't have to reboot 5
times/day. It's quite capable...but 20 clicks to do what s/be a click
away is getting old.

I like the direction the N800 is going in and finding more uses for it
all the time. Add an eye-loop on next model though.

mike