Streaming Music to the N800

On Monday 30 July 2007 11:21, Nedim Cholich wrote:
> I've started a little research project to figure out the best setup for
> streaming media to N800. Check it out at:
>
> http://nedim.cholich.com/2007/06/upnp-servers-and-n800.html

Is it a good idea to limit yourself to UPNP?  I have been looking for a
solution to streaming my music across a routed network (and, eventually,
across my VPN).  If anyone has a solution for that I am very interested.

At the moment it looks like DAAP may be more likely to provide the solution
than UPNP (although there is no good free daap client for Windows,
unfortunately).  My understanding is that daap can do it if the client can be
told the server address -- unfortunately Canola doesn't seem to allow that.

I also found a solution to provide remote daap services over tunnels using SSH
or stunnel (see http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-187145.html)
which I think might work with Canola if only I could find avahi-utils for
Maemo.

So, it looks like daap might work one day.  Which is more than I was able to
say when I tried using UPNP.

Graham