N770 HEADPHONE PROBLEM

James Knott wrote:
> Igor Stoppa wrote:

>>> Is that static with the N800 headphones?  If you use a regular headset,
>>> you'll just get static, as the N800 headset includes the FM antenna.
>>>

>> No, your "antenna" is the wire of the headphones. Ever opened a pocket FM tuner?
>>
>> Any headphones will do, just keep the wire uncoiled.
>>

> When I use regular headphones, I get static on the FM tuner.  The N800
> headset plug has an extra connection, which carries the FM signal.  When
> you use a regular headset, that terminal is shorted to ground, which
> means that the wire will not work as an antenna.

No, that extra wire is for the headset microphone embedded in the cord
bump/switch (which, you will agree, is also not on your regular
headphones).  Perhaps your regular headphones have a different cord
setup that does not allow them to serve the second purpose of an
antenna.  This is a pretty common way for simple FM tuners to be
produced, and it has been done this way for many years.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide