my two big fustrations with the N800 - please help me find a workaround!

"ext andrei raevsky" <raevsky.andrei at gmail.com> writes:

> [...] I want to tell you what bugs me so much and ask you whether
> you found a way around the two issues which make me grind my teeth
> and get gastric reflux.
>
> 1) OS updates and backups    [...]
> 2) Repositories:             [...]

I, too, was surprised and shocked when I figured out how much IT OS
2005 missed the boat in the beginning, and how long it takes us
(Nokia) to catch up with it.  But I am confident that we are going to
catch up.

I think the importance of 3rd party applications for the Internet
Tablets is now visible to everyone, and the pain coming from the
chaotic repository and compatibility situation is felt more and more.
'Something' needs to happen and will happen.

We will try to provide OS updates via the Application Manager in the
future, but it will take some iterations (and time) until that will
work nicely for new major versions of the IT OS, I am afraid.  I hope
we can do these iterations publically.

The Extras repository on maemo.org should in theory make all the rogue
individual repositories unnecessary.  I will include it in the default
configuration of the Application Manager (but disabled).  We need to
establish some community-driven quality control for the Extras
repository, I'd say, maybe by offering a Debian/Ubuntu-style
'unstable' and 'stable' versions.